Red Wing Pottery was founded in 1877 in Red Wing, Minnesota by David Hallem. They were known as the Red Wing Stoneware Company at the time and changed their name to Red Wing Union Stoneware Company in 1906.
They were one of the largest producers of utilitarian pottery and stoneware items in the United States, including stoneware jugs and canning jars.
During the 1920′s, they started making a line of art pottery, due to the decline in demand for stoneware, and changed their name to Red Wing Potteries Inc. in 1936.
During the 1930′s, they started making hand-painted dinnerware which was sold in department stores, mail-order catalogs and gift stamp centers. As dinnerware production slowed, they made china for hotels and restaurants.
They stopped making stoneware all together in 1947 but continued to produce planters, vases, cookie jars and dinnerware until they closed for good in 1967.
Red Wing Pottery Marks
Red Wing Art Pottery
Popular Red Wing Pottery, Patterns
Bowls – mixing bowl
Crocks – bread crock, butter crock, two, three, four, five, eight, ten, fifteen gallon crock, twenty pound butter crock
Jars – canning jar, fruit jar, mason jar, refrigerator jar
Jugs – fancy jug, mini jug, shoulder jug, stoneware jug, souvenir jug
Pitchers – sponge decorated pitcher
Vases – funeral vase
Red Wing Pottery Price Guide, Values
Mid $ – Mid $,$$$